Monday, June 27, 2011

Sucia Island

So the first day of paddling went well, started out calm and warm at 8:30am. I have a lot more confidence in just 1 day, the seas were pretty calm but with some larger boats there were 3 foot waves, and I Handel them easily. I did 18 miles today, with about 5 hours of paddling. I'm trying to start out slowly and build up after a couple of days.

I'm staying on Sucia Island tonight, it is beautiful here, I did not know it was a such a hot spot with the Washingtons!
So tomorrow I will head over to Pender Island and go threw Canadas customs, the first time you land in Canada you have to go to a port of call.

I then will go to the other end of the island, where there is a camp ground.
All total should be about 16 miles, but Dave a kayaker here told me I should do a safer route and then it will be 18-19 I see what the weather looks like in the morning. After today I will only be able to up date when I have wifi, but will keep doing drafts every day then down load all at the same time.
Until next time, Kelly

6 comments:

bug said...

Safer is better dad. But this is rough for us Josh has huge blisters on the soles of his feet from working on a roof today and you are our go to guy we are lost with out you! I love you.

Boogaloo Bill said...

Way to go Kelly! You made it to Sucia. What did you think of the rock formations? There are similar ones in the Gulf Islands on Saturna, Tent, Galiano, Valdes, Gabriola, Newcastle, and many of the other Islands as you go nort from South Pender. Have fun!

Nick Duncan said...

I hope your shoulder isn't hurting at all. Or if it is, at least improving while you keep the miles low?

Matt Lonergan said...

Good to hear you got smooth start! Take it slow like you said and build up your daily paddle time. I look forward to following your adventures.

Unknown said...

Hey Kelly, I hope the weather continues to be in your favor! Looking forward to more posts about your adventure.

Unknown said...

Hey. Hope the weather holds. Don't forget your sunscreen and look out for those crazy Canucks!
:)